Use this guide to know which Paleo diet foods you can eat so you can get started with the Paleo diet and ensure you stay on track throughout.
The paleo diet has become extremely popular over the last few years and as more and more people are adopting this style of eating we thought it would be good to make a clean, simple list of Paleo diet foods and rules to follow.
The below list of Paleo diet foods should help you navigate what you can and cannot eat as you embark upon your paleo journey.
- Cook with saturated fats such as coconut oil, butter or clarified butter. Eat (don’t cook with) healthy fats such as olive oil and avocado oil, which can be great for salad dressing.
- Eat animal protein such as red meat, poultry, pork, eggs, wild caught salmon and shellfish.
- Eat generous amounts of fresh or frozen vegetables (cooked or raw). This can include some starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes and yams.
- Eat moderate amounts of fruits and nuts. With fruits, try and eat lower sugar fruits high in antioxidants. Blueberries are great choice as they have all sorts of short and long term benefits like improving concentration and more. (Consider cutting out fruits and nuts altogether if you have anÂ autoimmune disease,Â digestive problems.)
- Do not eat cereal grains (wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, brown rice, etc.) and legumes (soy, peanuts, kidney beans, pinto beans, navy beans, black eyed peas).
- Cut out all vegetable, hydrogenated and partly-hydrogenated oils including, but not limited to, margarine, soybean oil, corn oil, peanut oil, canola oil, safflower oil and sunflower oil.
- Cut out all added sugars (soft drinks, juices, packaged sweets, etc.).
- Do not eat dairy such as milk and cheese (remember, butter is okay).
- Consider supplementing withÂ vitamin DÂ and probiotics. Levels ofÂ magnesium,Â iodineÂ and vitamin K2 should also be optimized. Iodine can be obtained fromÂ seaweeds. You probably donâ€™t need a multivitamin or other supplements.
Here is a tip that will help you when grocery shopping:
Try and avoid buying anything in a package and focus solely on the meat, fish and produce sections of the store (often all located outside of the aisles).Paleo Diet “Golden Rule”
Want some more help to make sure you not only start the Paleo diet but stick to it? Check out of hack on how to start and stick to a new habit.
1. PaleoLeap.com: Paleo Diet 101
Get life hacks from experts to improve your productivity, finances, health and more.